Should I pursue any legal action ifI was laid off from my job but worked some weekends from home with no pay?

I worked for this company for almost 3 years and as of recently I was laid off while at work. This was due to budget cuts effective immediately. But my concern is since there was no notice or severance should I pursue action for having to work some weekends from home with no pay as an hourly worker?

Asked on March 22, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You have 2 issues here: 1) being laid off with no notice/severance; and 2) being paid for hours worked.

As to the first, unless you had an employment/union contract or company policy mandated notice/severance, then your employer had no duty to provide you with either. In an at-will work relationship, you can work for an employer or not, your choice.  In turn,  an employer can fire you for any reason or no reason - without notice (or severance).  The only claim you may have is if discrimination played a role if your being let go (which seems not to be the case here).

As to the second issue, getting paid for hours worked.  As long as this time was work related and done at your employer's request (and you have proof of this), such time is compensable.  In other words, you should have been paid for it.  If your former employer refuses to do so, then you can file a claim with your state's Department of Labor and/or consult directly with an employment law attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.