Should I provide information to the unemployment office regarding past disciplinary notices if they were based upon lies and I did not sign it?

I am recently unemployed and am trying to obtain unemployment benefits d/t being fired ‘without cause’ as indicated on my discharge papers and signed by HR. However, my supervisor said she was firing me b/c of unsatisfactory documentation and b/c an aide (lied) said I refused to help her provide cares for a resident because I told her I was too busy. My former supervisor did not like me and was nit picking my work and wrote me up on 2 separate incidents (in which she did not ask me my side of the story). Should I provide any of the detailed information in the prior write-ups to the unemployment office?

Asked on July 29, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Kansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that if the unemployment office does not request the documentation that you have written about then you are under no obligation to provide such.

However, prudence dictates that you should bring up the existence of such documents to the representative of the unemployment office and if he or she wants the documents, then you provide them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.