Should I plead guilty or not guilty for a first offense possession charge?

Charged with possession of alcohol but didn’t not drink and the bottle did not belong to me. I am 18, I was in a car with alcohol and no one said who the liquor belonged to. The officer did not breathalyze us but he asked us if we were drinking I said no I attempted to drink a shot but ended up spitting it out, so I did not consume it andit was prior to the run in with the police. He charged everyone in the car with possession just because we were in the car.

Asked on June 12, 2012 under Criminal Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Before you actually make a plea with respect to the possession charge against you, you should consult with a criminal defense attorney concerning the facts of the matter against you before your arraignment and rely on this attorney's advice before you decide to make your plea.

From what you have written about the facts of your matter, I would plea "not guilty" remembering that the prosecution bears the burden of proving the elements of the crime charged beyond a reasonable doubt.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.