Should I pay the buyer’s attorney fees?

I am selling a house to my rental tenant. He has a real estate lawyer friend who is capable of performing the closing. The lawyer made it clear she is

Asked on July 7, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Forget about the language "seller's attorney's costs": that could be easily modified so that "seller" is crossed out and "buyer" penciled in. The real issue is, are you willing to pay this fee? If you are, it's legal: seller can pay the buyer's lawyer's fee (or give buyer a price reduction or credit to cover it, etc.). If you are willing, in order to get the sale done, modify the contract so it accurately state's whose  fee is being paid and pay it. If you are not willing to pay and are willing to potentially lose the sale, say "no" and see if the buyer will drop this demand. Or negotiate something you both can agree to--e.g. you split the costs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.