Should I pay a “spenddown/contribution” amount to get coverage for my daughter when I do not have the amount asked to pay?

I have applied for Medicaid through my state and they say that my husband and I make to much money for our daughter to be covered and that we have to pay a “spenddown/contribution” amount of $2,705 a month to cover her. We do not have even that amount ever. The majority of the money brought in goes straight to rent and any bills necessary for the month. We barely have enough left over for food and essential necessities needed to survive.

Asked on May 31, 2012 under Insurance Law, Utah


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I presume that the insurance that you want for your daughter is health insurance. The best way to get such is to contact an insurance broker. From what you have written the $2,705.00 premium is quite high for a minor child for health insurance.

It is not my call to advise you whether you should pay for something that you cannot afford with respect to your child. However, from what you have written, an insurance broker should be able to get an insurance policy for your daughter for health care that is reasonable unless she has significant health issues.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.