Should I pay a civil demand fine?

Yesterday I was caught shoplifting. There was no police involved and the lady said that I could go after they got their products back. I didn’t sign anything and they say something about trespassing and I didn’t catch it. My mom was with me and we were let out after 10 minutes. The products were about $14 in whole but something that I took was also a part of a set, so is that in the set? How much do you predict the fine to be? Is it usually 10 times the cost of the items? What happens after I pay the fine? Will this affect the chances of me getting a job later?

Asked on November 6, 2011 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you were caught shoplifting and there has been a civil demand upon you as to a claim (civil action) you should consult with an attorney that practices civil law as well as criminal law about the situation you are in the and best way to get it resolved.

The civil claim is nothing in comparison to what a possible criminal action can do to you both in terms of costs but possible negative results if you are convicted of a criminal offense.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.