My son is faced with a DUI charge in Santa Clara county, California, with prior DUI charges. Should I hire a DUI lawyer or rely on the public defender?

My 22-year-old son wrecked my car in Santa Clara county, California while intoxicated. He had a person with him that was injured and released from the hospital the following day. My son has a prior DUI and several charges (no strikes though). Will a Santa Clara county DUI lawyer make a big enough difference in the outcome as compared to a public defender?

Asked on June 7, 2009 under Criminal Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you can afford one, I would hire a Santa Clara county, California DUI lawyer.  Find one in the area where all of this happened and one that specializes in DUI.  Your son is facing some serious DUI charges in Santa Clara county, California, especially considering his prior record, and needs the most expert counsel that he can get.

The PD's office does its best but they are swamped and your son may not get the best attorney to handle this situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.