Should I go to court to appeal for this?

I got into a car accident about a week ago. I am at fault by law because I rear ended the person but there was a big uhal parked on the side of a busy street where it shouldn’t have been. I was merging onto the left lane to avoid the uhal and hit a car that was dead stopped on the road. Later on I found out that car backed out of its drive way. When the officer came he told me that it really wasn’t my fault nor the other drivers because that uhal should not have been parked there but he has to give me a citation by law because I rear ended the other driver. He told me if I wanted to go to court to appeal for it, he’ll put that there was a big uhal parked where it should not have been parked. Should I go to court to appeal for this? My driving record was clean before this. PLEASE HELP

Asked on September 23, 2016 under Accident Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, go to court. If you have an otherwise clean record, as you indicate, and respectfully present the facts as you describe, there is a small chance that the the matter will be dismissed, but a larger and reasonable chance that you will be allowed to plead to a lesser, very possibly no points (i.e. fine only) offense. It is worth your time to do this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.