Should I go speak to detective who called me and said I exposed myself in my car?

I do not feel like I committed a crime and therefore should go talk to him. Is there any benefit to talking to him? Part of me feels I need to talk to him so he can here my side or at least to hear more details of what I am being accused of. The other part says it’s all a trick to get me to say something incriminating. Does a detective ever hear the other side, then decide not to pursue it?

Asked on June 29, 2009 under Criminal Law, Wisconsin


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I think the best idea is to talk to a criminal lawyer, first.  You will need someone in your area, because the definitions in these sorts of laws can differ from one state to another, and it sounds like you might have a borderline case where the difference could matter.  More importantly, for reliable advice, you need to let your lawyer know all the facts, especially the embarrassing ones.  One place that you can find a qualified attorney is our website,

Sometimes talking to the police will clear things up.  Sometimes, it's best to say nothing.  Your lawyer deals with the police regularly, and can sometimes give you a better read on who you're dealing with;  if you're going to talk to the police at all, I'd recommend having a lawyer there with you, to make sure you don't get tricked.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.