Should I file a civil or criminal lawsuit against someone who threw a baseball bat at me out of anger but missed hitting me?

Asked on June 15, 2012 under Criminal Law, Connecticut


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can actually do both.  However, one can influence the other.  Specifically, the defense could argue that the filing of the criminal charge was motivated by money, as evidenced by the filing of the civil suit.  The decision to file one or the other really depends on what you want to accomplish.  If you want the defendant to have a criminal record and maybe ordered into anger management counseling, then file the criminal charges.  If you just want to send him a wake up call that this is not appropriate behavior, then go the civil route.  Because you weren't injured and you don't mention any great amount of emotion trauma, you're not likely to get a huge cash award out of a civil suit-- so it's value is going to be more in the form of accountability-- just less intense than a criminal filing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.