Should I contact police for theft if a consignment shop closed and kept my possessions??

I had product on consignment at a local shop. They closed the store and never contacted me or returned my items. I have not received a response to my voice mails or emails. Should I contact police? What other recourse do I have?

Asked on September 14, 2017 under Business Law, Pennsylvania


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You should contact the police regarding criminal charges for the theft of your possessions by the consignment shop.
You can also sue the consignment shop for conversion which is theft in a civil case. You can recover your possessions or their value in a lawsuit for conversion.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.