As a landlord should I collect information myself if a tenant reports an injury on the premises or let the insurance company handle that?

Asked on August 29, 2011 Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If there has been a reported injury on the premises that you own as a landlord, it is best that not only should you collect as much information about what happened, but your insurance carrier as well. The rationale for doing this is as follows:

1. you as the landlord have the ability to go to the property where the incident occurred much quicker that a claims adjuster once you have been informed about an incident triggering a reported claim to your insurance carrier;

2. the tenants at the complex may be more willing to speak with you about what happened since they know who you are as opposed to an insurance adjuster that the tenants do not know;

3. having another person obtaining background information about what happened might uncover some information missed by the first person on site trying to get the facts as to how the injury occurred.

Good question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.