Should I be weary of legal action if I accidentally pocket dialed my ex who had the police give me a warning for harassment?

My ex girlfriend and I dated for 5 years and recently broke up. I tried
talking to her and her mom a lot during the first month of the break up.
My ex girlfriend got upset with me because of this, and called the police to
give me a warning and tell me not to have any contact with her any more
or charges could be pressed. I understood and complied. However today I
accidentally pocket dialed my ex and quickly tried to end it after I heard it
ring once. I sent her a short text that said, ‘Pocket dial. Sorry.’ so that she
wouldn’t think that I was trying to get a hold of her again. Should I be
weary of any legal action?

Asked on May 3, 2016 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You should be wary any time you are dealing with an over-sensitive ex-girlfriend.  The police are not likely to issue a warrant for a pocket dial... but it's still a possibility. 
Before you loose the phone, take screen shot of the text and a screen shot of the call on your phone.  This will verify that the call was too short to be a harrassing call.  It will also verify that you sent an apolgy text.
To avoid any future pocket dials, delete her number from your phone.  It may be a little inconvenient to look it up in an address book the old fashioned way should you ever need to call her for a different reason... but getting arrested is far more inconvenient. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.