Should I attempt to transfer my license from one state to another before or after it is restricted?

I just moved out of state last week. A couple of days before I left, I received a first offense DUI at a .09 and it is looking like I will get it reduced to an impaired which will mean a restricted license. I have 2 priors –  an MIP 4 years ago when I was 19-20 and a possession of marijuana 5 years ago when I was 18. I have read that one state will not allow you to transfer a restricted license to another state but I need to drive for the job I got. If I apply for a license in my new state before I am officially convicted at the court hearing, how will the sit?

Asked on March 14, 2012 under Criminal Law, Illinois


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It may be worth a try so long as your current license is valid, but be advised that sometimes a restriction in one state may appear in another State's motor vehicle records as well. On most impaired convictions, the judge will issue a restricted license for up to 30-90 days depending on your state. Speak with a criminal defense attorney in your state to determine your best route.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.