What should I ask for as settlement?

I recently got into a car accident with a big rig about a month ago. The driver of the big rig was at fault. The insurance agency wants to settle the injury claim for $600. I have a feeling I should be entitled to more. My lower back and wrist slightly hurt and ive been getting constant migraines more than usual. Not only has that caused me to miss a day an half of my regular job but I rescheduled appointments with my clients; I am a beauty consultant.

Asked on June 27, 2012 under Accident Law, Illinois


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It is very difficult to evaluate the value of a personal injury claim through a question like this. There are many factors that need to be considered when establishing the value of a claim.  You are entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering and any permanent damage you may have suffered as a result of the accident.  Insurance companies are most often going to make you a very low offer to start.  It would be best for you to consult with an attorney who specializes in personal injury prior to attempting to settle this claim on your own.  Most personal injury attorneys offer free constulations.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.