Should I accept an agreement from a company who terminated my job

I was terminated from my job with
no reason. They want me to sign an
agreement to accept 2 weeks
severance pay and agreement states
I will not file or process a claim
with PA Dept. Of Labor. Does this
mean if by signing agreement I
can’t file claim for unemployment

Asked on January 16, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

Such an agreement will be enforceable; if you take the money you will be bound by the its terms. The begs the question, why would you sign it in the first place? Unless you find aanother job almost immediately, you will be better off taking unemployment which will last more than 2 weeks.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Yes, if you accept the agreement and take the money, you will be prohibited from filing for unemployment--you will have voluntarily waived or given up your right. Since the unemployment you'd be eligible for will amost certainly (unless you find a new job right away) exceed two weeks pay, there is no reason to take this agreement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.