Should a caregiver get paid for travel time?

According to the FSLA, caregiver travel time between clients’ homes should be considered as hours

worked and paid time. Is this correct?

Asked on July 4, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

First of all, commuting to and from work (which can be the first/last appointment of the day) is not compensable time, therefore you need not be paid for it. However, time traveling from one appointment to another during the course of a workday is considered to be work and therefore you must be paid for such time.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Under federal law (so national law; applies everywhere) your travel time from one work location (client's home) to another during the workday is considered worktime and an hourly employee should be paid for it.
The exception is that since the commute to/from work does not need to be paid, to oversimplify somewhat, if you go directly from your home to the first client's home, that would the equivalent of your morning commute and does not need to be paid; similarly, if you drive from a client's home back to your home (or to wherever you go after work; e.g. to a store, to a restaurant, to pick up your child from school, etc.), that would be the equivalent of your return communte and is not paid. But again, travel during the workday from one location to another should be paid.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.