Should an apartment company pay for damages done to your car for for an incident that happen on its property?

It has been almost 21 days that I have been without a car. My bumper was ripped off and is dragging on the ground, due to park bumper at my apartment having nails sticking out of it and pulling my bumper off. Apartment acknowledged that they are liable but are taking its time. Even though it fixed the nails in 2 days after we told it about it. Would like to know if it compensates for damages, rental car, and pay for time off of work?

Asked on July 11, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the manager of the apartment complex where you live has admitted liability for the damages to your car's bumber then under the law, the apartment complex is responsible for the cots of repair and possibly the rental car cost that you incurred because you cannot drive your vehicle in the condition that it is in.

However, under the laws of all states in this country you do not get compensated for time off work unless you can demonstrate that there was no alternate way for you to get to work other than your vehicle.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.