If a shortsale is declined by the bank when I already have a buyer because they say that they can sell it for higher price, can I get a guarantee from them?

I have been trying to sell my boat for almost a year and I finally have a buyer for a short sale which I submitted to the bank for approval. They have initially approved the sale but they have called back and stated that they feel they could see the boat for a higher price. They will not provide a guarantee however. I would like some sort of guarantee stating that they have to see it for what my buyer is willing to pay or higher. My fear is that they will run into the same problem and sell it for less than what my buyer is willing to pay right now.

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately if you are behind on your payments to your lending institution for your boat or you want to sell it for less than what is owed on the loan where the lending institution will agree to the sales price and nothing more as full satisfaction on its loan, you can seek a written guarantee stating that the minimum sales price will be the amount presently where you will have no recourse against you in the future if you try and sell it for more.

Unfortunately I sense that the bank that you are writing about will not agree to your proposal. I would write the bank stating your position about the need to take the offer now and move on. If you sell the boat, make sure you get a document in writing from the bank stating that you will not be responsible for any shortage on the loan.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.