Sexual orientation slander

Third party published false reference on my profile regarding my sexual
orientation. The website support team refuses to delete it. What can I do in this

Asked on April 7, 2017 under Personal Injury, Alaska


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the third party and the website for defamation.
Defamation is a false statement made with knowledge of its falsity communicated to another who recognizes the defamatory content and the statement is injurious to your reputation.
Libel is written defamation.
Slander is spoken defamation.
Each repetition of the defamatory statement is actionable in a lawsuit for defamation.
Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in a lawsuit for defamation) include emotional distress, loss of friends and associates, and if applicable, physical illness.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.