Sexual Harassment Age Discrimination

I work in a hostile work environment.
I’ve been verbally sexually harassed. My
supervisors keep telling me I’m just
annoyed because I’m a little older than
my coworkers. I have a spread sheet
containing 3 months of incidents. They
are trying to force me to quit or take
short term disability with a pay cut.

Asked on October 24, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Sexual harassment is illegal at work; IF your supervisors took it seriously, investigated it, and took appropriate action, the company would not be liable--a company cannot necessarily prevent it from happening in the first place, but they can and must respond to it. However if they refuse to take steps to prevent it and you have "3 months of incidents," you most likely have a valid discrimination claim.
If you are 40 or older, if the company is making negative or derogatory remarks about your age, that is also illegal. (Only those age 40 and above are protected). You may have an age discrimination claim, too.
Based on what you have written, you should contact the federal EEOC about filing one or more discrimination complaints. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.