If the sewer is flooding in my bedroom, is that my responsibility to fix?

I recently signed a lease for 12 months. My bedroom is in the basement of my rental property and when water is run the sewer comes up through the main drain. My LL says I am responsible.

Asked on October 11, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Are you responsible for the flooding? That is, did you do anything "wrong"--whether deliberately or carelessly/accidentally (negligently) whic caused the back-up and flooding? For example, did you flush anything--like diapers, clothing, a plastic bag, etc.--which caused a clog and back-up. Or knowing that there is some problem with how the water drains, did you simultanously shower, run the dishwasher or clothing washer, and flush the toilet, causing more water to go down than the system can handle?  If you caused the flooding, you would be responsible; if you did not cause it, however, then you would not be responsible to fix it or for the costs, unless and only to the extent that you specifically agreed (e.g. in the lease) to take on this responsibility. Otherwise, it is the landlord's responsibility and cost.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.