Settlement amount?

Do I have to pay income tax on settlement from my divorce?

Asked on June 16, 2009 under Family Law, Minnesota


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There are a few variables here, so for detailed tax advice, based on your individul case, you should talk with your tax preparer or a CPA.

In most cases, divorce is not a taxable event.  Most transfers of interests in property, and lump sum payments, to do a division of property for divorce or in a settlement agreement, are not taxable income.  Child support is not tax-deductible to the person paying it, and it is not income to the parent receiving it.  Alimony is the exception:  it is taxable income, and it is deductible from income for the person paying it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.