Sent item to wrong address, recipient wont let us have it back

Sent item to wrong address, recipient wont let us have it back.

Asked on March 16, 2012 under Business Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the recipient for conversion.  Conversion is the unauthorized assumption and exercise of ownership over the goods or personal property of another to the exclusion of the owner's rights.  Conversion is any unauthorized act which deprives an owner of his property permanently or for an indefinite time.  One who aids and abets another in keeping property from its rightful owner is also liable for conversion.

Your damages (the amount of compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit for conversion) would be a forced sale which means the value of the personal property that is being wrongfully withheld from you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.