Seller can not/ will not provide contractually agreed upon paperwork.

Seller and “transactional” agent want to add an addendum that amends an agreed upon contract. That releases the seller of agreed upon duties of providing licensed inspection or completion reports for Plumbing, HVAC, Structural and Electrical. I have suggested they get their own inspections for the plumbing and HVAC by licensed professionals, and to split the cost with me on a structural. If houses passes my inspections, I still want the property. What are my options without giving up my position of being in the drivers seat with the agreed upon contract.

Asked on June 30, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Oklahoma


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There's no reason for you to give up something for nothing, if you have a signed deal.  The best thing for you to do right now is hire a lawyer, so the seller and agent know that you aren't going to be talked out of what you've bargained for.  One place to find a qualified attorney is our website,

We all want to think of ourselves as nice people, agreeable people.  Sometimes, other people try to take advantage of that, and at times like that, it is often best to put "nice" aside and treat the question as a business decision, just the cold economic and legal realities.  Your lawyer will understand that completely, and have no trouble being the "bad guy" for you, if that's what's necessary.

These people made a deal with you, and you've invested time and attention into that.  They can stick to their deal, keep their promises -- or they can pay the price for breach of contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.