I am self-employed in Santa Clara county, California, and I provided services & received payments from a vendor who filed for bankruptcy. The trustee is asking for the return of monies received within 90 days of bankruptcy. Options?

I am self-employed in Santa Clara county, California, and I provided services to a major company that paid my company through a vendor management company. The vendor filed for bankruptcy. Now, the Trustee of the bankruptcy is asking me to return monies that I received within 90 days of the Chapter 13 filing date. What are my options?. The company I provided services for has taken the hands-off approach and would not do anything for me.

Asked on May 20, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, California


LAR, Member CA State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

For the question in Santa Clara county, CA, you have to return the money. The bankruptcy laws specifically require that any money paid by a debtor to a "creditor" such as yourself within 90 days of the filing must be returned to the Trustee as a "preference."  All creditors to a bankruptcy filing must be treated equally and the law sees those creditors who receive such recent payments as advantaged. 

Make sure you file a "Proof of Claim" with the bankruptcy court for the amount that is owed to you. If you need specific assistance, you can find a bankruptcy attorney in Santa Clara county, California to help you by checking out the listings in the AttorneyPages directory.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.