If a tenant did not provide their forwarding address, how can we provide security deposit refund in 30 days?

Asked on July 18, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

1) Have him provide you some address you can send it to: e.g. a friend, family. If he does and you do, send it some way you prove delivery and keep a record of his communication instructing you to send it to that address . Or:
2) Notify him via email that you have his refund and want to return it to him, but cannot unless he provides an address; and that you will hold it pending him providing an address. Print the email out and keep copies to prove your good-faith efforts.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.