What to do if my former employer refused to give me an experience letter and relieving letter?

I worked as a math teacher in school; I was there for 1 year. I couldn’t serve my notice period. I

applied for guest teacher job where they are asking for my experience certificate but my former employer refused to give me a relieving letter or experience letter. They don’t even give salary slips or ID cards to the teachers. What should I do? Please help since this job is too important for me.

Asked on January 2, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Alaska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

The fact si that as a general rule, an former employer is not legally obligated to provide an experience and/or relieving letter to ex-employees. The only exceptions to this would be if such letters were required to be given under the terms of an employment contract or union agreement or in some way constitutes some form of legally actionable discrimination.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

You can't force your former employer to give you an experience letter and/or relieving letter unless you had a written contract (including a union agreement covering your job) requiring it. In the absence of a contractual obligation to do these things, the law does not force former employers to help former employees get new jobs or provide documentation for them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.