School bus driver took a picture of my car and plate, will I be issued a ticket in Illinois?

Passed a stopped school bus on a busy road. I
was the first of three cars to pass this
stopped bus and than came to a stop at the stop
light a couple hundred feet away. When passing
the bus driver honked and waived his hands. The
bus driver than quickly started moving, changed
lanes and pulled behind the three cars I think
he was taking pictures of our plates while we
were stopped. I believe the stop sign was not
out on the school bus when I passed it, though
I am second guessing myself because of what
happened. Is it likely I will get a ticket? If
yes, is there a way to verify the stop sign was
not out or is it the bus drivers word against

Asked on September 9, 2017 under General Practice, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

IF the driver reports this to the police and they consider it credible (believable), you could get a ticket; unfortunately, there is no way to know in advance if this will or will not happen. If you are issued a ticket, it will essentially come down to your word vs. his (and the words of any other witnesses for or against you); there is no way to prove that you did not pass the bus (or that its "stop" signs were not out) unless you had a time & date stamped dash cam running the whole time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.