If rumors were being told about me at work and informed both supervisors but nothing was done, should I continue with this legally?

I work at a facility, and about two months ago, rumors were being started about me by my co-worker. I had a meeting with my supervisor and the Program Director about it and I was informed that it would be handled. It hasn’t. Rumors are not only still being passed throughout the facility, they are developing and the stories are growing. I was told that this was Slander and Harassment in the workplace and neglect on my Program Director’s behalf. Should I continue legally?

Asked on June 11, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It is not for me to advise you to continue your pursuit with respect to the rumors being spread as to you at work against the co-employees and possibly management. It is your decision in that I do not know the specifics at to what is being allegedly said.

I would have another meeting with human resources at work about the problem you are having and if there is no adequate response, your option is to consult with a labor attorney and/or make a complaint with your local labor department.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.