If my roommate will not pay the bills that he still owes but wants to come get property he left, is there a way to make him pay and make him turnover the key?

The tenant is my sister-in-law’s ex-boyfriend. He wants tv and laptop he bought for them and their kids even though he is the only one who moved out. He wants the satellite dish and TV equipment, which we have been spliting the cost but is in his name. He may try to use his key he never gave back or just enter. We have tried to get him to finish paying he said he would have to wait till next paycheck then told her he wasn’t going to pay anything. He made all verbal agreements known written.

Asked on August 17, 2012 under Real Estate Law, South Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

One way to get some payment from your soon to be former roommate is to have him sign a promissory note as to the total amount owing you and when the amount will be paid. If not paid by the date on the note, then you simply bring an action against him presumably in the small claims court. Assuming he shows up at the property ask for his key after he picks up his belongings.

The problem with your situation is that you simply cannot force a person to do something he or she does not want to do absent court involvement in the matter you have written about.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.