What are a tenant’s rights to terminate a lease?

In November we told the landlord that we could no longer afford to rent the house and he said OK; he would put the sign out front and rent it. Around 11/15/10 he told us that he rented the house starting in in 2 weeks and that the new tenants would move in the second week of December. So we went out and found a new place. Our landlord then came by the other morning to inform us that these tenants won’t be moving until the 19th of the month and we are to pay the rent until then. We reminded him that he had already told us he rented it and we couldn’t afford rent payments at 2 places. He has also failed to repair a leaking roof which we told him about in October. We need to know what to do?

Asked on December 3, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Ok, well unfortunately you are bound by the provisions in the lease agreement unless you got the ok from the landlord to leave on December 1st in writing and that you were no longer bound under the lease to pay rent.  I am guessing that did not happen her so you are now stuck.  So now you are going to have to play hardball.  You are first to get something from him that says he is letting you out of the lease.  Then you are going to have to go to landlord tenant court and file to pay the rent in to court (which you have to do until the date of the agreement - there is no out with that so beg, borrow and steal to pay the December rent for  the 19 days) and advise the court that the apartment has defects and a leaky roof that makes it uninhabitable and that you wish to have the rent abated until such time as the condition is fixed and you wish to have October and November's rent abated as well.  That may buy you some time and money.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.