What are my rights regarding a house that my ex fiancé and I shared?

My fiance wants me out of a house we have shared for the last 9 months. I am not on the deed to the house. I do however pay him $200 a month towards to go towards the house payment. I also pay the gas, water, electric, sewage, trash, and cable bill. What are my rights, if any?

Asked on June 30, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You don't have any rights to the home:
1) Not being on the deed, you are not legally an owner.
2) Being a fiance is not a legal relationship the way being married is; being a fiance gives you no rights to the home.
3) Paying certain bills or paying $200/month towards the house payment would give you no rights to the home; at most, it would qualify you as a "tenant" (someone who paid to live there), but without a written lease for a definite term, the landlord (your ex-fiance) could require you to leave on 30 days notice, then evict you if you won't; therefore, the most this might do is delay the process somewhat and force him to bring a quick court action (eviction actions are designed to be fast and easy) to get you out--but if he does this, you'll then have an eviction on your background check if you look to rent, which could hurt you on future rentals.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.