What are the rights of disabled employees?

I have multiple chronic illnesses, including major depression. Despite providing

my management and HR with multiple doctors’ notes from many specialists explaining how my illnesses make it difficult for me to wake up, I am now at risk of losing my job. I recently had a major surgery and have been told if Im late two more times I will be fired. I am working with my doctors, including psychiatrist and therapist to resolve this problem. Receiving this news has only made it worse for me and my depression and anxiety are now even worse. I

don’t know what I can do at this point. I am a responsible professional woman who is excellent at her work except for this problem. I am trying everything I can but I’m so lost and don’t know what to do at the moment. Is there anything else I can do? I’ve never been fired or let go from any job.

Asked on March 29, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, being late to (or absent from) work is not a "reasonable accommodation" that employers are required to make to employee medical conditions or disagility: an employee must be able to work all her normal hours and to get to work on time. You may be legally terminated for chronic or frequent lateness despite your conditions and doctor's notes. You need to find some way to be on time for work.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.