What happens to the estate of decedent who died intestate?

The decedent and I were married years ago and had 2 sons. He remarried and had another son. He died intestate and the home is paid for and only his name is on the deed. Do our adult sons we had have any right to live in the home?

Asked on September 12, 2011 under Estate Planning, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Each state in this country has what is called "intestacy laws" which set forth the order of inheritance of the assets of a decedent when that person passes without a will, trust or any property held in joint tenancy with another person (real proeprty and bank accounts for example).

Such order of inheritance will most likely be set forth in the state where the person passed away having his or her last permanent residence in its "probate code."

I suggest that you go online and do some research as to the order of inheritance when a person dies without a will, trust or no property held in joint tenancy. Usually the surviving spouse gets a significant percentage with natural born and adopted children of the decedent. The statutes typically set forth the order of inheritance.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.