What are the rights of a beneficiary?

My mother passed away 2 years ago. My sister was named executor to the Will. While she did disperse the liquid assets, she has never done an inventory on my mom’s personal items jewelry furniture, etc. There is also a small sum of money in escrow that is still waiting for a tax return to be done. My sister and I are estranged and anytime I have asked about these issues she just writes back that she doesn’t know or care. I am also afraid that she is keeping jewelry or giving it away. We are 50-50 beneficiaries to everything according to the Will. At this point, what are my legal rights and can I ask her to take a polygraph in regards to my mom’s material items?

Asked on March 20, 2012 under Estate Planning, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I think that it is time for you to hire an attorney to contact her in an official capacity.,  You need to file a request for an accounting and an investory of the estate assets.  You can review the court file as to what has been done as it is a public record.  Once you find out exactly where the matter is in the probate process you can then decide the best course of action.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.