Rights after being terminated

I was terminated from my former employer on September 1. I did not receive my final wages until September 8. I also requested my employee file on September 6 today is September 16 and I have yet to receive my file. Has my ex-employer violated any laws? What are my options?

Asked on September 16, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, New Hampshire


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

In NH, if you are fired/laid off, you have to be paid within 3 days. Since your former employer was late in paying you, you could contact your state's department of labor to complain but because you were paid only 5 days late, don't expect much to happen other than possibly a small fine impose on the employer. As for your employee file, in NH, all employees/former employees have a right to review, copy and put a rebuttal in their personnel records (although, the employer may charge a reasonable fee for cost of making a copy). If your ex-employer will not allow you to inspect them, you can file a complaint with the labor department; that is something it will follow up on. You can also sue to obtain these records; you can consult directly with a local empolyment law attorney for further information.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.