Rescind employment

We are CA based corporation, hired an employee to work in TX for a client through an implementation partner. The company send him the forms to complete W4, I9 etc., however he did not send back the completed forms even after being on the project for a week. There is no way for us to proceed with the employment under the current circumstances. Can we rescind the offer after him having been on the project for a week?

Asked on March 4, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

Absent an employment contract or union agreement to the contrary, work is "at will". Accordingly, an offer of employment or employment itself can be rescinded/terminated at any time for any or no reason at all, with or without notice.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

If you don't have an actual written employment contract for a definite or fixed term (e.g. a one-year contract) which guarantees him employment for that time, you can rescind his employment or terminate him at any time, for any reason. Without a written employment contract, all employment in this nation is employment at will.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.