If I’m representing myself/opposing counsel is asking me for my financial statement already filed with the court, do I have to send seperately to him?

My financial statement is already on file with the courts as of first appearance. His was not. He has retained counsel. I am representing myself on a modification of child support. I received a letter from his attorney asking me for my financial statement. Do I have to comply? Can’t he get it from the courts? Can I ask for his financial statement? Is he required to give it to me?

Asked on June 9, 2012 under Family Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Custom and practice in the legal field is to give new counsel documentaiton already filed and served with the court and others when requested. You are not obligated to comply with the request but doing so would be a good idea for future dealings with the other attorney.

The other attorney can get the document from the court 's file if need be.

You can ask for the other party's financial statement in conjunction with your petition. The other side is required to serve you with a copy of all filed documents with the court concerning your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.