repossesed car

Will or can a bank garnish wages/income tax refunds for a repoed car?

Asked on June 16, 2009 under Family Law, Missouri


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I'm not a Missouri attorney, and this is an area where the law and procedure can be different from one state to the next.  For advice you could rely on, you'd want to have a lawyer in your area review all of the facts of your case.  One place to find a qualified attorney is our website,

In most states, the bank would have to file a lawsuit, after repossessing and selling your car, for any unpaid balance.  Once that suit went to judgment, the bank could garnish your wages to collect it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.