How long is too long waiting for a repair to be made?

My super and landlord have been taking what we feel is too long of a time in fixing our washer/dryer. We’re not sure what to do. It has been 3 weeks since we told the super and supposedly a repairman had stopped by but had to “order parts” to complete the repairs. In the meantime, both the super and the landlord have become difficult to get a hold of and I do not think they are ever going to repair the washer. Can I/should I bring the landlord to small claims court to pay for our laundry expenses or to get out of our lease?

Asked on October 17, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Good question. The time to fix an item by a landlord is typically within a reasonable amount of time. What is deemed a reasonable amount of time depends upon the circumstances of each particular case in that each are different.

You should write the landlord immediately asking for a set time period to repair the washer/dryer to your satisfaction keeping a copy for your records and a response to your letter.

I would wait in bringing a small claims action against the landlord until the due date for a response to your letter comes and goes. Perhaps there may be a reasonable explanation for the delay in getting the applainaces fixed such as a back order for a replacement part.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.