Rented a house thru section 8

My house is rented thru section 8. My tenant violated the contract by not paying water bills. Section 8 said they will stop her assitance, as a consequence of this, they will not pay her rent anymore. Can I take them to court? How can I proceed with this problem?

Asked on June 8, 2009 under Real Estate Law, New York


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT.  I would have to see the contract you have with Section 8 as it will control the answer to this question.  Is there a clause in the contract that addresses this?  If so i suggest you locate this and read what the terms are.  Section 8 is usually required to pay under the terms of the lease- if ths includes water, then you may have a claim.  I suggest showing the contract (i.e. lease) to your attorney to determine the viability of your claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.