How do you remove someone as a trustee?

My uncle was my mom’s power of attorney. My sister and I, at my mom’s request, have revoked him. He is also the trustee over my mother’s Will. She would like him off that as well and have my

sister do it. What steps do we need to do to make that happen?

Asked on May 6, 2016 under Estate Planning, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If your mother is still alive, she can do this very easily: she can simply create and execute a new will, one which does not name your uncle as trustee, and which states that it replaces all prevous wills. If properly signed and witnessed, the old will is voided by it. If she likes the existing will other than for this one provision, she can basically just retype the old will, replacing the part about your uncle with another trustee, then sign it and have it witnesses and notarized.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.