How do I remove my mother as power of attorney?

I’m currently in the military and living on the West Coast. I was married on the East Coast so I’m getting a divorce there. Since I’m unable to leave, I gave my mother power of attorney to hand me my paperwork. Unfortunately, my mother and I had a falling out. Now she won’t talk to me, give me any information that’s on my paperwork or give my wife any information either. Is there anything that I or my wife can do to legally get the paperwork from my mother?

Asked on May 27, 2012 under Family Law, New Jersey


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can revoke your mother's power of attorney. 

The methods for revoking a power of attorney may vary from state to state, but generally include the following:  You can revoke the power of attorney in accordance with the terms of the power of attorney.  You can inform your mother either orally or in writing that her power of attorney is revoked or when and under what circumstances it is revoked.  It would be advisable to revoke your mother's power of attorney in writing instead of orally so that there is a record of it being revoked.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.