registration suspension problems

My husband had a policy that canceled december 31 2008 and we were notified of it and requested from penn dot to show them proof of insurance to avoid suspension of registration and i did so sent it in to them and recieved no responce. then we started a new policy in my name the wife as of january 31 2009 and now that im due to renew registration they are saying they never recieved anything from me and that insurance lapsed and i need to send my tags etc in for a suspension of registration how is this my fault when they lost the info and never notified me of this and its now the 30 of june. Am i screwed and have to deal with the registration suspension???

Asked on June 30, 2009 under Insurance Law, Pennsylvania


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

After your husband's policy cancelled on December 31, 2008, and before you started the new policy at the end of January, 2009, what proof of insurance could you have sent in?  I think you need to get proof of your current insurance to the DOT and find out what else you might have to do, to get this straightened out.  I'm not a Pennsylvania attorney, but i suspect that you'll have to pay a lapsed-insurance penalty of some sort.  To find a lawyer in your area, who can give you more detailed advice based on all of the facts of your case, you can visit our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.