Registering a car.

II own a car and live in one state, and my son drives this car but lives in another state. He is on my insurance policy. He is now obtaining a driver’s license where he lives. Does the car have to be registered in his state or can I still register it in my state?

Asked on June 4, 2009 under Insurance Law, New Jersey


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I assume you live in N.J., but you didn't mention the state in which your son lives.  He's going to have to contact the motor vehicle dept. in his state and find out their requirements.  In most states, it's okay to have a car registered elsewhere for a short time, but if you're a permanent resident, they usually require you to register in-state because they want the revenue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.