What to do regarding overpayment of wages?

When I started I asked for a login for timekeeping and was told not to worry about it, it doesn’t matter unless there is time off. Shortly after I took vacation that was scheduled before I started and understood this would be unpaid, as I was so new and did not yet have PTO. I received a full paycheck and immediately brought it to my supervisor’s attention. She said that they “borrowed against [my] future PTO”, even though I requested this time be unpaid. I never received a login (although I requested one) to a timecard and every time I have taken a day off or called in sick I have received full pay. I will be handing in my resignation in 3 weeks and am concerned this will “catch up” with me.

Asked on January 8, 2013 under Employment Labor Law, Alaska


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you e mail your supervisor at work as well as the human resources department concerning your repeated concerns about overpayment of your wages that have yet to be fully addressed in that you desire to have the issue resolved sooner rather than later. keep a copy of the e mail for future use and need.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.