Regarding my probation: Can I write the judge to see if something can be done regarding my case and ask for representation from a public defender?

I serve 18 month state prison followed by 10 years probation with restitution and cannot find employment since release my in January 2009, I have a stay order from the judge for 3 months regarding restitution which is about to expire. I don’t have an attorney representing me since I cannot afford one. Also I cannot collect unemployment.

Asked on June 15, 2009 under Criminal Law, Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you cannot afford onem a public defender is to be assigned to you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.