Can a company refuse to pay for services I already performed and completed if I do not have workers’ comp?

Asked on September 26, 2018 under Business Law, New Jersey


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the company for breach of contract / account stated. Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) are the amount you are owed. The amount of your damages will determine whether or not you can file in small claims court.
It is irrelevant that you did not have workers' compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.