Can I recover living and moving costs that I incurred, since my girlfriend and I just broke?

My girlfriend and I moved in together a few months ago. We spent several thousand dollars in long distance moving costs to move her furniture. The cost was split evenly between us. Recently, we broke up and she is planning on moving out before the lease expiration while taking all of the furniture and items with her. Would I be entitled to a partial reimbursement of the moving costs from her since she is leaving prior to lease expiration and I am not gaining use of the items and furniture that I paid to move for the duration of the lease?

Asked on March 25, 2011 under Family Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

1) You can't recover moving costs--she has no legal obligation to not move (or break up), and no duty to you to not move (or break up); therefore, there is no recovery for the costs incurred in moving in with her when she then moves out shortly thereafter.

2) Similarly, you have no claim on her furniture and she had no obligation to let you use it, so there is no recovery for not getting its use.

3) However, if both you and she are on the lease and moves out before the lease is over, then you could sue her for her share of the rent under the lease (and for any costs you have to pay for damage to the apartment or home); that's because the lease is a contract, and you are one of the parties to the contract; you may therefore sue for costs or damages caused by a breach of it.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.